Well, what is Urban Sketching, for starters??
• We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
• Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
• Our drawings are a record of time and place.
• We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
• We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
• We support each other and draw together.
• We share our drawings online.
• We show the world, one drawing at a time.
**Extracted from Urbanksetchers’ Flickr group thread & put together by Steven White.
So that’s what it is! Why am I doing it? Well, practicing my drawing had joined the realms of such things as “do excercises” “practice violin” and “fix the fecking hinge/handle/shelf”- they often make their way to the to-do list, but rarely get done. And never with effective frequency. But Urban Sketching. . . that’s a thing. It’s a title. It has a local group I can join. And it gets me drawing from life every once in a while. It’ s a winner.